An inscription on the monument reads, “Erected by the Survivors of the 58th Reg. Ind. Vol. to the memory of their deceased comrades in arms 1864”. In 1914 a bronze plaque was added with this message:
This monument was erected by the 58th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, in honor of its dead whose names are inscribed thereon: Comrades who were killed in battle, or who died from disease or other cause during the service of the Regiment in the Civil War. The funds for its erection were secured by voluntary donations and subscriptions from members of the Regiment while in the service. No part of the funds were solicited or received from any source outside of the Regiment.
The contract for monument was made in 1863. It was completed, erected, and dedicated on 4 July 1865, the Regiment being still in the service at that time. This was the first Regimental Monument erected in Indiana in memory of soldiers of the Civil War. It is the only monument in Indiana, or in the United States, that was erected and dedicated by any Regiment in honor of its dead while that Regiment was still in the Service. In the manner of its conception, in the manner and conditions under which it was erected and dedicated, this monument is in a class by itself.
This tablet was erected and dedicated, in 1914, by the survivors of the 58th Indiana Regiment, as a memorial to their deceased comrades, and to preserve and perpetuate the history of this monument.
Many of the names engraved on the stone monument have weathered away. Photos of the monument have not revealed the names. Other means need to be utilized to reconstruct the ‘Honor Roll’. If anyone can assist in any way with the full list of names, please contact us. All of the 58th Regiment need to be honored properly.